The Blarney Stone Press

Course selection advice from upperclassmen

Course Selection is racing towards us and decisions must be made before March 8th. What is the best way to decide what classes are best for every individual student? The upper classmen have some advice.

Deadlines are very important, especially as you move forward in your high school career, and the deadlines for course selection are no exception.

“Get it done before, turn it in before the last day, because I did that [turned it in on the last day] before sophomore year and I did not get into one of the classes I wanted to be in,” said Faith Barre, a junior.

It is important to know about the class before signing up so that, as Rebecca LeBouef said, “(You) choose a class that is at your level and at your speed. A really bad mistake that people make is choosing a class that is too hard or too easy for them, so they will either end up bored or miserable the entire semester.”

There are several resources that students can use to research classes they are interested in taking in the upcoming school year.

“The main resource that I actually used is my current teachers and the teachers of the courses. Because if I had any questions I would go ask the teacher and that basically is the best resource,” Barre said.

“I talk to someone who has taken the class or is in it currently,” junior Charlie Connors said.

A big factor to consider when choosing classes is the work load. Harder classes mean more effort, and, while it is important for students to challenge themselves, it is also important for them to not do too much.

“Keep a planner and be organized because if you forget about a test you have next week then you are kind of going to…fail,” junior Daniela Avalos said.

AP classes are challenging, but are a great way to develop time-management skills.

“When I get home from practice, I just try to really focus on homework right away and not get distracted or procrastinate,” Avalos said

“Just last night I had to separate all of my time because today I had three quizzes and a test,” Barre said, who has experience in multiple AP classes.

It may seem scary, making all these decisions, but you are only as strong as you think you are. “If there is a class you want to try out for, or apply for, especially an AP, I would say to go for it,” LeBouef said.

Yet the most important thing is choosing what is best for oneself, not comparing schedules to those of friends.

“Do what you want to do, especially as a freshmen, because everyone else is getting different classes and different recommendations and it is easy to want to do what your friends are doing but choose what you want to do,” Avalos said.