The Blarney Stone Press

New play comes to KCHS: The Curious Savage

Lauren Ramos, Student Writer

The KCHS Theatre Company will perform “The Curious Savage” on Nov. 11-13. This is a comedic play about an elderly woman, Mrs. Savage, who inherits ten million dollars from her late husband. Her stepchildren, who want this money for themselves, commit her to a sanatorium in hopes that she will give them the inheritance.

Sydney Clancy, a theatre veteran who has been acting since the fifth grade, plays the lead role of Mrs. Savage.

“I wanted to do a show with everyone who I’ve become friends with over the years,” Clancy explained.

The Theatre Company began rehearsals in late September. The cast spent three weeks blocking, which is the process of deciding where and how actors should move onstage. As the opening night approaches, the cast has been repeatedly running through the play and working on minor details. These rehearsals are about 3 hours long and occur on most weekdays. They will last even longer during the two weeks before the show opens to make sure everything runs smoothly.

According to senior Fresca Mallia, the Theatre Club motto, “one theatre, one family,” is not taken lightly by the cast. During long, busy rehearsals, these young actors find time to get to know each other.

“The cast bonds a lot during rehearsal,” Mallia said. This is her second time acting in a KCHS production. “And Ms. M-R is really supportive and encouraging.”

“Everyone in the play is really close,” Clancy shared. “We can openly talk to each other about anything.”

“I love how theatre is just one big family,” Gemma Amrein, co-president of the Theatre Club, said. She has the role of Dr. Emmet, who takes care of Mrs. Savage and other patients in the sanatorium.

“It’s basically what gets me through the day,” Amrein said about theatre. She has pursued her love for acting since middle school and has been involved with numerous KCHS plays, both as an actor and a stage tech.

“The play is super hilarious, and the cast is great,” Amrein said.

“It’s very sarcastic and funny,” Noah Monárrez agreed.

Monárrez, a senior and co-president of the Theatre Club, plays another one of the leads in “The Curious Savage.” He has the role of Titus Savage, Mrs. Savage’s stepson. Monárrez has been in many school plays such as, “The Crucible” and “Number the Stars.” He was also the stage manager behind last year’s musical, “Little Shop of Horrors.”

“It’s fun to infuse part of my own personality into the character to make him better,” Monárrez revealed about playing the character of Titus.

“The Theatre Company accepts anybody and everybody,” he said. “You don’t have to have any experience. We’ll take you under our wing.”

The Curious Savage opens on Friday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. There will also be showings on Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., as well as Sunday at 2 p.m.  The Theatre Company encourages all students to attend and support the theatre department.

• New play comes to KCHS: The Curious Savage

Arts & Entertainment

Band Learns New Bops

Art of the Irish

A Look into the Literary Magazine

Art of the Irish

Chalk Walk Brings Young Artists Together

Arts & Entertainment

In the Eye of the Storm

• Art of the Irish

Inkredible Creativity– Showcase Art in the Inkblot

Arts & Entertainment

Coffee House Returns

• Art of the Irish

Arsenic and Old Lace

• Arts & Entertainment

Hardcore Swiftie or Vouch for Yeezy?

Arts & Entertainment

KCHS performing arts program

• Arts & Entertainment

The Hamilton Mixtape: An Undeniable Work of Art