Opportunity to Adore

Zoe Velas, Staff Writer

KNOXVILLE- From three to four o’clock every day after school, students have the opportunity to attend adoration in the chapel.
Before now, Eucharistic adoration has been offered periodically, mostly on holy days of obligation. Why, then, was there a need for daily adoration? Father Michael Hendershott gives insight to this new change. He first delved into the origin of the practice, referencing the Last Supper: “[Jesus] takes the bread…after he consecrates the Eucharist, he shows it to the people, and so adoration is basically just like that part of the mass continued for a long period of time. We remember that moment of consecration.” Adoration extends a crucial point of the mass celebration, the elevation of the host, in recognition of its importance. Father further compares adoration to a “Facetime call with God.” Father Hendershott addressed the Christian need for the Lord’s presence, stating, “We walk into the chapel and we look upon the blessed Eucharist…our hearts long and are restless until they rest in Him.” A special form of worship, adoration fills the needs of the heart, and satisfies the soul.
Participating in worship helps students and staff find tranquility within the chaos of a day. Many teachers have identified this and incorporated adoration into their curriculums. Mr. Bosarge, a religion teacher, takes all his classes to adoration whenever their block falls at the end of the day. He illustrated adoration as a place to spend “silent time in prayer, away from the hustle and bustle of our day…and converse with God face to face.”
Adoration is a way for students to spiritually recharge and give thanks to God for their day. It is hard not to find a little piece of serenity in the school’s chapel, with soft, blue light filtering in through the stain glass windows or the quiet flicker of candles by the altar. Adoration is an opportunity to express any anxieties, doubts, or joys one might have before the Lord.
Adoration provides an atmosphere of unity, especially for sports teams. One senior, Vanessa Belanger, gave her reasons for partaking in adoration, and pronounced it a time to “calm down after a long day of school and just talk to Him and spend some time in that peaceful atmosphere.” Belanger is a captain on the Lady Irish soccer team. As a student athlete, she finds the new adoration schedule gives her the chance for prayerful reflection before hitting the practice field. In fact, the Catholic women’s soccer team attends adoration every game day. This shows how adoration can be used to bring teams closer together through their faith.
Students and administrators alike agree that daily adoration is a welcome addition to Knoxville Catholic’s identity as a place that not only cultivates the mind, but also nourishes the soul. In this way, all are encouraged to take advantage of this new opportunity, and break away from the chaos of their day to find peace in the Lord.