Being Chaste is Not a Waste

Back to Article
Back to Article

Being Chaste is Not a Waste

Jason Evert talks with students about chastity.

#dddddd Natalie Perry

#dddddd Natalie Perry

#dddddd Natalie Perry

Caleb McLaughlin, Staff Writer

Sex is an uncomfortable topic to discuss, especially when discussed among a group of teenagers and young adults. But uncomfortable was the last thing students and staff felt when they gathered in the gym on Tuesday, Feb. 13th, 2018, to listen to Jason Evert of the Chastity Project.

“I started leading high school retreats when I was in college, and that gave me a lot of experience of what teens were struggling with on a day-to-day basis,” Evert said. “I also was doing sidewalk counseling in front of an abortion clinic…[and] I realized to save the most unborn babies, I’m going to do it [counseling] talking to junior-high, high-school and college students,” Evert added.

Throughout the talk, Evert touched on a variety of topics, ranging from personal anecdotes to statistics on sex in the United States.

“In high school,” Evert told, “I wanted to know just how far I could go with a girl.”

His answer: How far would you want your future spouse to go right now with the person they are dating?

“I liked how he used their (high school boys’) future daughters and spouses as a reference,” senior Eliza Arnwine said, “and it was cool how he used the way girls think and used that as an example for guys.”

Along with comparing the different views that boys and girls have on sex, Evert discussed a variety of reasons for abstinence, such as the high risk of STDs, the negative effects of birth control and lower rates of divorce from those who wait until marriage.

“I thought when I took health class last year that [STDs] would be included in the curriculum…but you don’t learn anything about it,” junior Gavrick Paul said, “so I know that there are kids my age that are having sex and don’t know about proper prevention.”

Although some may have expected Evert’s talk to scare them, students were surprised to find that Evert didn’t scare them at all.

“It’s not about being afraid of going to Hell; it’s about wanting to wait for the person you love,” Evert said.

For more information about Jason Evert and what he had to say, visit chastityproject.com.