Irish Tennis is Here

Caleb McLaughlin, Staff Writer

The tennis season kicked off the 22nd with a losing match against CAK. The team hopes to bounce back from this loss and make it to the State Championship.

“We had three seniors [Catholic alumni Erin Allen, Julia Newman and Sarah Myers] who helped us win State the last two years, and we lost those three seniors this year,” senior Ansley Turley said.

But with three former teammates graduated, the girls must work harder than ever if they want to make it to State.

“I’m looking forward to working toward another state title and keeping the girls’ three-year winning streak,” junior Sara Allen, who began her career in tennis following in her older sister’s footsteps, said.

But for freshman Abram Atwood, this was his first high school tennis match.

“I already knew quite a few of them [team], but it’s really a great group of guys,” said Atwood who’s been playing tennis since he was 10. “I really like the mental side of tennis…it’s a little bit of a mental exercise because you have to think about what you’re doing while you play, and also just a really good physical exercise,” Atwood added.

But along with winning another State title, senior team captain Towns Hughes is excited to lead the team this year.

“We’ve got a lot of new young players and a lot of new good players,” team captain Hughes said. “It’s a lot of responsibility [to be the captain]. I just have to be a good role model for the kids, and my favorite part is getting to pick the uniform we wear, so that’s always fun.

The tennis team hopes to bounce back from their loss against CAK with a match against Karns on the 27th and keep fighting for their State Championship title.