Chalk Walk Brings Young Artists Together

Back to Article
Back to Article

Josalyn Whitehouse and Kalani Carter work on the Art Club's chalk walk entry on April 21st in Market Square.

Clare Souder, Staff Writer

The Art Club, a vibrant, student-lead group prepared their palettes for Knoxville’s Chalk Walk on Saturday, April 21st. Always held during the annual Dogwood Arts Festival, the Chalk Walk runs throughout Market Square, where passerbyers can stop and admire the brightly colored artwork and the participant’s unique designs.

This is the club’s second time competing in this particular Chalk Walk, but they are by no means novices. In the fall, the club participated in the Roane State Community College Chalk Walk where they came in first place for “People’s Choice” and first place in the “High School Team” category. According to art teacher and art club moderator, Ms. Passarello, the Roane State Chalk Walk is “only a warm up for the real deal.”

The Chalk Walk is no small event. This art competition brings hundreds of artists together, either teams, families or solo workers from all parts of the city. After reserving a 9×9 foot square, which must be claimed months prior to the competition, the participants spend months drawing and redrawing potential designs.  

“We plan ideas together, sketch it out, and use a template. It’s a giant piece of paper that we poke tiny holes in, then dust baby powder on top of it, so the image seeps through,” club leader Nani Fishman explained in detail.

The template is then placed on their 9×9 square and “when we lift it up, we can then see our template to draw on top of.” This nifty and helpful tool, however, takes many hands to complete. Luckily, the club has a plentiful and supportive team of dedicated artists who will be given different tasks by Fishman and other club leaders to ensure the success of their design. “It was really cool because everybody has a different art style so there are unique parts of the piece but it’s all cohesive in this giant piece of really cool art! Also with all our work put into it, maybe six to eight hours, it was super cool to see the finished product that we worked so hard for,” club member Natalie Eilerman added.

Fishman and other team members will be leading and instructing the rest of the team. Though this project takes plenty of creativity, planning and finesse, it also requires many hardworking and willing helpers that shade and bolden outlines as well as color in shapes. It is a project that not only requires organization and team effort, but it also requires effort from the spectators of the Chalk Walk. That’s right, they need your votes!

“I think people should support the Chalk Walk because it’s just great to support local artists in the pursuit of what makes them happy is really important. You can vote for best Chalk Walk piece for the “People’s Choice” category, which I think everyone should stop by and do! Also it’s honestly a cool way to spend a Saturday,” concludes Eilerman.

If you are interested in the Art Club and want to be involved, contact Nani Fishman for more details.