The Blarney Stone Press

Student Art Showcase at KMA

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Art Showcase at KMA

Bridge's award winning picture, showcased at the Knoxville Museum of Art

Ansley Letsinger, Staff Writer

On December eleventh, the Knoxville Museum of Art hosted the East Tennessee Regional Art Exhibition. An event in which students from all over East Tennessee submit their artwork in hopes of receiving a place in the Knoxville Museum of Art’s student gallery. This artwork ranges from a wide variety of mediums such as painting and photography. The Knoxville Museum of Art then hand picks their favorite pieces to put display.  

Out of the hundreds of students who submit their work, only a third of the applicants are accepted. This year, 4 Knoxville Catholic students have been chosen to participate in the student showcase, as well as being put in the running for the gallery’s scholarship competition. 

One of the students chosen was Junior Drew Bridges who was chosen for his photography submission. “The picture that was accepted was actually from photography class last year,” says Bridges. “I was actually kind of surprised that it was the piece they chose.”  

Bridges has been interested in photography for years and has taken multiple portraits for friends and family. “Last year I took some senior pictures for my friend Claire who graduated from Catholic last year,” says Bridges. “I was honestly honored that she chose me to take her portraits.” 

Since then, Bridges has taken part in AP art and plans to continue taking photos and develop his photography. “I love photography and I’m planning to keep on doing it even after high school.” 

Another student entered in the gallery is junior Nathan Miceli for his painting. Miceli has always loved art and usually painted things he’s interested in. “I usually paint things I like and find interesting, that’s why I decided to paint a car. I just thought it was cool.”  

Miceli entered his painting over the summer for an AP art project and was surprised when his entry was selected.  “I did a painting of a car, but I didn’t think it was that good,” says Miceli, “but Ms.Passarello said it was good so I should submit it, I guess it worked out.”  

Both Miceli and Bridges, as well as senior Baily Dew and junior Alyssa Lucci who were also selected, attended the gallery’s opening on December eleventh. The exhibition is on display at the Knoxville Museum of Art until January thirteenth from ten AM to five PM. All students and faculty are welcome. 

About the Writer
Ansley Letsinger, Staff Reporter

Once upon a time there lived sassy girl named Ansley Letsinger. She lived in the city of Knoxville and went to a tiny school called ESK for 8 years. She...

• Art of the Irish

Meeting the New Musical

• Student Art Showcase at KMA

Art of the Irish

Theater Program Introduces Fall Play: “The 39 Steps”

• Student Art Showcase at KMA

Art of the Irish

Music Midtown Prep for Students

• Student Art Showcase at KMA

Art of the Irish

A Look into the Literary Magazine

• Student Art Showcase at KMA

Art of the Irish

Art Welcomes New Member

• Student Art Showcase at KMA

Art of the Irish

Chalk Walk Brings Young Artists Together

• Art of the Irish

Inkredible Creativity– Showcase Art in the Inkblot

• Art of the Irish

Arsenic and Old Lace

• Art of the Irish

Tata Ajache

• Student Art Showcase at KMA

Art of the Irish

Spring Play Thrills Audiences